How to Choose Women's Yoga Pants
Yoga is a deeply spiritual practice that can help you mentally and physically. When practicing yoga, you'll find yourself becoming more relaxed and centered with yourself. In order to experience these benefits, it's important to wear comfortable pants that offer a free range of movement so you can focus on your poses and not discomfort. In this guide, you'll learn how to choose the right yoga pants.
Find your Fit
Finding the right fit is a huge priority. Clothes that are too loose will have you stepping on excess fabric and may cause you to overheat, especially in hot yoga classes. Clothes that are too tight will hinder your movement and make some poses impossible. The following are some tips for finding the perfect balance:
- Comfortable Fit: Some types of fit include loose, harem, leggings, capri, and drawstring. The fit you choose depends on personal preference. Wear something that makes you feel confident and comfortable.
- Stretch: Look for yoga pants that are made with stretch fabrics. Stretch fabrics can either have 2-way or 4-way stretch. 2-way stretch can stretch in one direction whereas 4-way stretch can stretch horizontally and vertically. A stretchy fabric will give you a great range of movement.
- Compression: Compression clothing has a tight fit that reduces muscle pain, speeds up recovery time, and can possibly reduce injuries. The clothing works by applying pressure on your blood vessels via the tight fit to improve circulation.
- Waist: You'll find low-rise, mid-waist, and high-waist as options. Mid and high-waisted pants will compliment curves and provide a flattering silhouette. A low-rise fit has a waistband that's up to two inches below the navel and is sometimes preferred by petite body types. All three options come in fashionable styles and provide varying amounts of coverage.
- Pant lengths: The main yoga pant lengths are full-length, mid-calf, and shorts. Mid-calf pants or shorts are great options for warm days or hot yoga classes. For full-length pants, make sure the fabric doesn’t excessively bunch up on the ground or else you'll find yourself stepping on it while moving.
- What to Avoid: Avoid zippers, clasps, and unnecessary bulk around the waist. These will cause discomfort, especially when lying on your stomach.
- Design: Have fun with the style! Women that crave a fashionable twist can find countless colors, prints, and trendy features like braided racerback straps.
The Perfect Fabric
Fabric is just as important as fit. You want a comfortable fabric that performs well in your environment. Here are a couple fabrics you may want to consider:
- Cotton stretch: Cotton is ideal for mild temperatures. It's a soft and comfortable fabric but also absorbs moisture. Because of this, you want to avoid cotton in hot yoga classes. Sweat will be absorbed rather than wicked away.
- Technical fabrics: These include popular fabrics such as Lycra® and Supplex®. Depending on the fabric, you can have enhanced stretch, breathability, and moisture-wicking properties. For hot yoga, warm weather, and intense classes, moisture-wicking fabric is ideal. Moisture-wicking material is usually a polyester blend that pulls moisture to the outer surface of the fabric to keep you dry and comfortable.
- Eco: Eco-friendly fabrics can be made from materials such as plastic bottles, renewable resources, or organic matter. Bamboo, organic cotton, hemp, and recycled polyester are popular options. These fabrics have excellent qualities and can include soft 4-way stretch, moisture-wicking, and breathable properties.
Many eco-friendly materials can be used in yoga clothes. Although you don't have to choose eco-friendly, you can get the same flattering cuts and stylish designs with eco-friendly fabric. Yoga promotes good health and a clean, calming environment so you can find inner peace and balance. Eco-friendly clothing is a small yet meaningful step in supporting the earth and clean living.
Enjoy Yoga in Comfort
A comfortable fit will make practicing yoga truly meaningful and rewarding. You'll become more in tune with your body, new postures, and melt stressful thoughts away as you relax. Finding the right yoga pants doesn't have to be intimidating. With your newfound knowledge, you'll be able to find the perfect yoga pants for a powerful yoga experience.