How to Choose a Swim Diaper
Equip your little one for splashin' around while preventing pool contamination. Poop happens!! Accidents are bound to occur, and swim diapers provide a protective layer against fecal matter escaping into the pool. A good swim diaper not only aids in sanitation – it saves you time and money in the cleanup process. Consider these tips when choosing the perfect swim diaper for your infant or toddler:
Why Buy Swim Diapers
Most pool facilities require that all infants wear swim diapers when in the water to prevent contamination and the spread of germs. You might be surprised to know, swim diapers are not regular diapers. Regular diapers fall apart in the water, swim diapers are designed to prevent solids from escaping and are not leakproof. Make sure your child is not sick with diarrhea before entering the pool.
Swim Diaper Styles
Swim diapers can be worn as a bathing suit or under a swimsuit, and come in both reusable and disposable styles. Choose a swim diaper that is easy to put on and take off for quick changing. Pull-up/pull-off diaper styles are common among both reusable and disposable diapers. Some reusable swim diapers with Velcro™ or snap closures are the easiest to remove but are slightly more bulky than pull-on/pull-offs when worn under swimwear. The best swim diapers have a snug fit with minimal absorbency.
Reusable Swim Diapers
Reusable swim diapers are easy to clean, inexpensive, eco-friendly, and come in fun colors and designs. They are perfect for swim lessons and public pools if you visit them often. They come with a number of distinct features:
- They are commonly made out of a cloth or polyester material and lined with soft mesh to hold in solid waste.
- Elastic rims around the legs and waist keep the diaper snug and help to prevent any leakage.
- The majority come in pull-on/pull-off styles, but you can also find diapers with clips, snaps, or adjustable Velcro™ closures for easy removal.
- Reusable swim diapers are usually machine washable, but hand-washing can extend the life of the diaper for maximum use before permanent disposal.
- Some brands, like Finis, make cloth diapers using UPF 50 fabrics and are perfect for outdoor swimming lessons.
Disposable Swim Diapers
Disposable swim diapers are mainly chosen for their convenience – there is little or no cleaning involved after purchase. However, they are less popular than reusable swim diapers because they can absorb the liquid of the pool, quickly feeling too heavy and weighing down the wearer. As a result, they can cause chafing and might be uncomfortable. They are also more expensive in the long run and are not as breathable as their cloth counterparts. Keep note of these facts about disposable swim diapers:
- The construction materials in disposable swim diapers vary from brand-to-brand. Some include super-absorbent crystals combined with plastic or paper components. Others are mostly constructed of non-absorbent fabrics, much like their reusable counterparts.
- They are all designed to be pulled-on/off with stretchable sides for added comfort.
- The sides tear easily for quick removal and disposal.
- For sanitary purposes, disposable diapers should only be worn once and then thrown away.
- Your local swim school usually has some available for purchase if you happen to forget yours.
Wearing a Swim Diaper
While most children will never have a solid-waste accident while swimming, frequent potty breaks can further prevent pool (or "poo") contamination. Check your local pool's requirements before purchasing a swim diaper – some swimming pool facilities will require a certain type.
Swimming can be fun for both you and your baby when you choose a swim diaper that is comfortable, convenient, and colorful. For example, Splash About's Happy Nappy comes in durable and warm wetsuit material with waist and leg bands that won't dig into your baby's skin. IPlay swim diapers feature an abundance of patterns and colors in a comfortable and absorbent material. With an easy-to-use swim diaper from SwimOutlet.com, your little one can be splashing around the pool in no time!