10 Reasons Why We Love Water Polo
As swimmers, we'll be the first to admit that swimming laps back and forth every single day can seem more like a chore than it is fun. It's not uncommon for swimmers to get burnt out on the sport, which is why water polo is such a popular secondary sport to those who grew up in the pool. The game of water polo borrows key techniques from swimming, but incorporates hand-eye coordination, a floating net and a whole bench full of teammates. Sounds fun, right? It's like the best of both worlds for all the die-hard swimmers out there looking to try something new.
We won't go as far as to say that we like water polo more than swimming, but it's a close second. Here's why;
1) It's a team sport - Unlike swimming, you rely heavily on your teammates during each game, which makes for a pretty cool team bond.
2) The suits - The water polo suits are even smaller and bolder than your average competition swim suit, if that's even possible.
3) No running required - If you've always wanted to try a land sport (like soccer or basketball), but hate to run, water polo is the sport for you. Imagine a soccer net floating on top of the water. Score!
4) Less swimming - Swimmers rejoice, water polo practice only contains about a fourth of the laps (if that) that a normal swim practice would. The beauty of water polo is that you don't actually have to be a swimmer to play.
5) Team robes - Swimmers get parkas, water polo players get cool robes. Enough said.
6) It requires incredible strength - Sure, football players are strong, but there's something admirable about someone who can tread water to stay afloat and throw a ball at the same time (go ahead, pat yourself on the back, you're awesome).
7) Tanlines - Since water polo players rarely wear goggles, you can say goodbye to your raccoon eyes and awkward goggle tanlines. Hallelujah!
8) What happens underwater, stays underwater - Although we can't condone foul play, we love a little friendly competition. It's always interesting to see what really goes on beneath the surface. What the refs don't see, won't hurt them-- right? Just kidding.
9) Spirit section - Of course, in swimming you can always count on your cheerleaders at the end of the pool, but in water polo the fans in the bleachers bring a whole different kind of excitement to the game.
10) It's fun - Plain and simple. Although treading back and forth chasing a ball may seem exhausting to some, the game allows you to add a new element to the traditional sport of swimming. It's like a breath of fresh air for those used to swimming laps day in and day out.Email Address Invalid. Please enter an email address in the format: email@example.comAdd a Comment
Name * Your Email (will not be displayed) *To prevent automated bots from spamming, please enter the text you see in the image below:
Thank you so much for this detailed review. Super helpful when pu...
Thanks for sharing the review and feedback. It really helps me al...
Love the prints and the concept of using these fabrics to create ...
Hi Julie and Swim Outlet .comYour cute face and name caught my ey...
Thanks for updating the post. Keep up the good work. I really the...