Finding the right bathing suit for you can be as simple as looking in the mirror. Instead of trying on countless tops and bottoms, simply assess what type of body you have and choose a swimsuit that brings out its best qualities. This guide will help you find your perfect swimsuit based on your individual shape.
Choose a moderate coverage top that will accentuate your bust.
- Thick straps and underwire will provide you with comfort and support.
- V-shaped necklines naturally flatter your bust by drawing the eye up and down.
- Choose a halter or underwire top with supportive straps.
- Avoid skinny straps and push-up padding.
Choose a top that will enhance your bust.
- A lifting, push-up, or padded top will best bring out your curves.
- Choose a top with horizontal lines or ruffles to create the illusion of a larger bust.
- Avoid flat triangle tops and solids.
Choose a suit that flatters your full figure.
- Wear bright colors on areas you want to emphasize and dark colors on areas you want to minimize.
- Prints that extend from bust to hip or across the body create the illusion of a longer, leaner torso.
- Tummy trimming features such as tummy control, ruching (also called gathering), and paneling smooth will flatten your stomach's appearance.
- Avoid solid colored suits and bikinis.
Choose swimsuit sets that enhance both your top and bottom.
- Tops with ruffles, horizontal lines, and designs create a larger bust.
- Push-up or padded tops accentuate your chest.
- Choose bottoms with belts, skirts, and ruffles to give the appearance of a larger bottom.
- Avoid tie side bottoms and sliding triangle tops.
Choose a swimsuit that elongates your body.
- One-piece suits with asymmetrical designs add the illusion of height.
- Designs down the front of the suit lengthen your body to look longer and leaner.
- Choose one-piece suits with high necks, halters, or asymmetrical designs.
- Avoid strapless tops and two-piece bikinis.
Choose a swimsuit that visually breaks up your body to create the illusion of a shorter torso.
- Two-piece suits that are two-toned with bright colors shorten the length of the torso and make your waist look smaller.
- V-shaped necklines, horizontal stripes, and high-cut legs are flattering design features for women with long torsos.
- Choose bikinis, bandeaukinis, and tankini top styles.
- Avoid bikini bottoms that cut straight across the hip and one-piece suits.
Choose a swimsuit that draws attention to your upper body.
- Brightly colored tops with solid bottoms accentuate your bust while minimizing your legs.
- Choose one-piece suits, skirtinis, or tankini sets with brightly colored tops.
- Avoid colorful sarongs and bikini bottoms that exaggerate the hips.
Choose a swimsuit that accentuates your legs while giving you more coverage in the bustier and tummy area.
- One-piece tummy trimming suits smooth and flatten the stomach to make you appear leaner.
- Features such as ruching (gathering) or panel designs on the sides slim the appearance of the waist.
- Print designs down the middle of the body elongate the torso.
- Choose swimdresses, one-piece suits, and colorful sarongs that draw the eye downward.
- Avoid bikini sets and low rise bottoms.
Flatter Your Figure
Embrace your body type, whether you have large hips, a large bust, or few curves. You do not need to change to find the perfect swimsuit. Instead, choose the style that fits you and your body. Doing so will make you more satisfied with your choices, and it will improve your experience wearing a swimsuit.